Steph & Brian

Steph & Brian
Tuscany 2005

James

James
age 6

Molly

Molly
almost 4

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Rookie Mistakes

James and I met up with his school friend, Jackson and his mom at the National Zoo last Friday. Allow me to set the scene by saying that the potty training WAS going quite well. Without going into too much detail, James was doing all of the things he was supposed to, etc. He was doing SO well that he wore big boy underwear to school on Thursday, but I was at the school to ask him our new mantra... "do you have to pee?" Seriously, we say it about every 30 seconds. So often that James said to me on Wednesday, "Mommy! You keep saying that!"

So great was our boy doing that, on Friday, I made ROOKIE MISTAKE #1. I put him in underwear to drive to the zoo. I did not count on him saying "I have to pee!" while we were stuck in "traffic" waiting to get to a parking space in the zoo. Bumper to bumper, no- end-in-sight traffic. The kind of line that you can't get out of. It went a little something like this:
"I have to pee!"
"I have to pee!"
"I peed."

Which brings us to ROOKIE MISTAKE #2.
I park the car and take him to the back to change him. I then realize that, although I brought 3 extra pair of underwear (good mommy), I failed to bring any extra pants (bad mommy).

Luckily, Hanes now makes toddler-sized boxer briefs which I (thankfully) brought. So, on goes the pull-up with boxer briefs on top. Like shorts. Little gray underwear shorts. Poor kid. It looked like this:

That's Jackson, in a full-length pair of pants with a diaper. He has a good mommy.

I will not go into detail about ROOKIE MISTAKE #3 which involved a pull-up change in a muggy public bathroom with no less than 1,000 people waiting for the change table.

Not completely unrelated.... when we signed up to be "Friends of the National Zoo" (FONZIES we call ourselves), we signed up for the family category. Brian thought that it would be a good idea to sign up as Stephanie and James since that's who would be using the benefits the most. BUT, here's what our mail looks like:




3 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

Another chuckle and entertainment at your expense. Live and learn Steph,however you are still a Five Star Mom for all you do.

Congratulations to both of you in training.

Emily said...

Thank you for taking a picture of those tiny, tight, gray "shorts" ...but sorry you had to wash the car seat cover.

Rachel said...

LOVE the shorts! And, I think you and James make a very cute couple.