Steph & Brian

Steph & Brian
Tuscany 2005

James

James
age 6

Molly

Molly
almost 4

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

And Now a Word From Our Sponsor....

...and a public apology. I am sure Brian can attest to the fact that those (apologies) are few and far between so bookmark this page and read it over and over people!

Here is our sponsor, Susannah: 
generous loaner of swings, clothes, jumpers and endless advice on dealing with life with two under three. I love her so much that I am choosing to showcase her here with her new sassy haircut.

So, before I had James, several people told me to get a swing. "My kids loved the swing!" they said. "That swing really helps them sleep," they said. But I wasn't having anything to do with it. "I don't want him to get used to the swing or he'll never sleep anywhere else," I said. I mean, I was adamant. 
So self-righteous. 
So empowered. 
So DUMB. 
James was a terrible sleeper and we spent SO much time rocking him to sleep that by the time he fell asleep, he would wake right up ready to eat and so it went for months and months.

Flash forward 2 1/2 years and Molly enters the scene. I immediately realize that I need a place to put her where James won't step on her and if she falls asleep, then BONUS. I am at a playdate at Susannah's house and she casually says, "oh, I have one of those side to side swings. Do you want to borrow it?" I had that thing in the trunk of my car before she even finished the sentence. Took it home, assembled it in five minutes flat and threw in my baby. MAGIC. She fell asleep instantly.

Now Molly LIVES in the Fisher Price Nature Sounds swing or "The Magic Swing" as we refer to it. She and I love this swing so much that I carted it to South Carolina with me and I wasn't even embarrassed to do it. This weekend, you can find me carrying this swing through the streets of New York City as I never leave home without it.

This is, in fact, the EXACT same swing that my friend, Heather Bridges tried to force upon me before I had James - "it will save your life!" she said. So, apology #1 to you Heather. I am also  positive that Brian's parents would have bought us this exact swing if I just would have listened to his mom's advice and put one on our registry, so apology #2 to you Eileen. And finally, apology #3 to you James. Think how different your first year would have been if I just had the MAGIC swing.....


4 comments:

Susannah said...

Hello Face!!! When I opened your blog it was like I had been shot. Bam! But I am sassy, so it's OK.
And I'm SO glad that Molly loves the swing.. Clara did too, and Max deserves the same apology... considering he was rocked in his car seat with my foot. Ah, the olden days.

lisa said...

ok - we have a similar swing and it performs absolutely zero magic for Lilly....

Stephanie Coyne said...

and yet another apology to Susannah for initially posting such an enormous picture of her pretty face. I believe I have fixed it now.... Yeesh - I just knew I opened the floodgates with this apology stuff!

Anonymous said...

Steph: Let Brian know that humbleness get a bit easier with each passing year!! Swing or no swing, parenting is trial and error FOREVER!

Beth