Steph & Brian

Steph & Brian
Tuscany 2005

James

James
age 6

Molly

Molly
almost 4

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Big Coyne Surprise

Now that we travel with a toddler (a demanding, hungry, wakeful, active toddler), I realize how easy it is to travel with a newborn. The diapers are smaller, the demands are fewer and far between, and the food is pretty portable.

So, what better way to celebrate that than to travel to North Carolina, FOR ONE NIGHT. Yup, one night. I just thought it would be "fun" to wake up Saturday morning, hit the road and head out to see some NC friends. What really got me excited was the idea of surprising BFF Emily by just showing up on her doorstep.  She has written a great blog post (three actually) about the visit so I won't repeat it here - I'll just send you to hers: www.veggiebruce.blogspot.com

Our first stop, however, was at friend Scotty's house. We invited ourselves over for lunch and then proceeded to eat it while our toddler ran amuck and Scotty held our infant for two hours. Aren't we great friends?

Here is Scotty - seriously multi-tasking.


Then it was off to "Operation Big Coyne Surprise." I thought it would be "so funny" if we put Molly in her car seat just inside Emily's front door. In my mind, she would see Molly there, scoop her up and we would hop out and say "surprise!" As you can see in the following movie, this actually caused Emily to panic when she saw a random (crying) baby inside her house, rendered her unable to open the door, it completely overtook her vocabulary causing her to say "oh my goodness!" over and over and then she body-checked James. So maybe I could have done that part differently...



Here are James and Virginia - taking a break from doing what they do best - running circles around the house, destroying everything in sight.



Surprise complete.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The video of Emily coming in the front door is priceless! The fact she knocked James down doesn't even count! What a great surprise!
Ann Bruce

Emily said...

Just for the record, my voice is not normally that high pitched and annoying, right? If so, I am immediately headed to get Botox in my vocal chords (if a little extra gets on my face no one has to know). The Coynes are the best!

Angela said...

No! I was just about to leave a comment about how cute I think Emily's accent is -- I never imagined her with an accent . . .

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,
I have watched that video of Emily coming in to the house so (ok too) many times! I laugh out loud (sorry E!)every time. It is a classic..........or at least should be!
Ann Bruce

Erin said...

Oh my goodness! What a nice surprise for Em and good job to Tres for the secret.

Emily has promised to introduce us in real life one day.

Erin of the Schwangstons blog