Steph & Brian

Steph & Brian
Tuscany 2005

James

James
age 6

Molly

Molly
almost 4

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mother's Day - The Main Course

So, as I was saying.... Molly and I packed up and flew to Phoenix for Mother's Day weekend while James and Brian stayed home for boy time. I haven't lived in Phoenix since 1996 and I haven't visited in the summer since 2004 so I had forgotten about the heat. We landed at 7:30pm and it was just under 100 degrees. Here is what that felt like:

Seriously, I took these pics with my phone while we were waiting for my mom to pick us up. 
Clearly, Molly was in a state of shock. 
SO
HOT
My mom (best mom ever!) had a magic swing all set up for us in her living room. 
(See? We really don't go anywhere without it).
Here is Molly, content in her swing, recovering from heat shock, my mom is knitting and I am NOT chasing a toddler around. Already worth the five hour flight and freakish desert heat.

Molly chose my mom's house and Mother's Day weekend to pull out all the stops. 
Holding her head up like a champ.

My mom, a self-proclaimed "not a baby-person," had a small love affair with Molly while we were there. The feeling was mutual. Molly just lit up every time my mom talked to her.

Off to Grandma's for Mother's Day. 
Molly is my grandma's 12th great-grandchild and they bonded the second we put the car in park. Grandma Honey met us in the driveway and took the baby. 
Seriously. 
My mom and I just stayed outside unpacking the car. 
We are old news. 
(It's just a saying, mom - I am not calling you "old!")

My brother, sister-in-law and my nephews drove down from northeast Arizona (also five hours). Here, Molly is very confused about Natalie's decorative headwear.... 
It was a gift from her youngest, Garrett (age 7) for Mother's Day - so I guess I have that to look forward to....

All my nephews wanted to hold Molly. I think mostly because a girl is such a novelty in their house. Here's my sweet nephew Trevor and Molly.

Remember Devon from his visit last summer? Remember how he was VERY tall? 
Now he is even taller! Easily 6'2" and he is 15.

Grandma and 1/3 of her great-grandchildren.

I made this shirt for her and she loves it so much that she put it on immediately and danced a little jig while she was wearing it. Those are pictures of each of her grandchildren on the back. 

It's a Kington rite of passage to get in the pool at Grandma's house. The earlier, the better. True to her genetics, Molly LOVED it. I think she could have stayed in there for hours if it were not for the IMMENSE HEAT.





Me and my nephews: posted here simply for the purpose of height comparison. 
Yes, I am taller than one of them. 
He's SEVEN.

My brother with Molly. They were about to leave and I realized he hadn't held her. 
I asked if he wanted to and I didn't see her again for half an hour.


Leave it to my brother to sing her some kid-friendly songs sung to the tune of "What would you do with a drunken sailor?"



Another "visiting grandma"/Arizona tradition: eegees. 
For those who are not familiar and I am sure that most of you are not - eegees is a lemon icee yummy treat situation. You need a straw and a spoon. It does not matter how full you are when you leave grandma's, you always stop and get an eegee.


Four generations of Kington women...
Happy Mother's Day.


Were the boys bored while I was gone? Uhhhh, no. They went to the zoo, a train expo, the playground, the park... James was exhausted! 
Here he is leaving the zoo. So tired that he can't even finish eating the lollipop in his hand. 


No comments: