Steph & Brian

Steph & Brian
Tuscany 2005

James

James
age 6

Molly

Molly
almost 4

Monday, February 23, 2009

Action Plan for 4am Wake Up

James is going through a phase (I hope) where he has a bad dream (not quite a nightmare) and wakes up before 5am, but after 4am so he thinks he is up for the day. You can imagine how excited we are about this since we also have a newborn who really does wake up every 3 hours to eat.... Should this ever happen to you or someone you love,  feel free to adopt our "action plan."

#1 Watch a couple of videos and play some low-key games until the sun comes up.

#2 Pile all the kids in the car with the promise of something fun at your destination. For us - on Sunday - it was boats in the harbor in Annapolis, MD. 

#3 Keep the kids awake while you make a beeline for Starbucks (or other pick-me-up of your choice).

#4 Hold an adult conversation in a boring tone of voice until the little ones drift off into catnap la la land.

#5 Enjoy coffee and adult conversation without interruption.


#6 Arrive at destination. Kids will wake instantly the moment you apply pressure to the brake pedal (how do they do that?).

#7 Enjoy destination and well-rested kids. Immediately start talking about the afternoon nap so they don't think that morning catnap counted for anything.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Steph: I remember those days so well. Now I think I am sleeping in if Rachel gets up at 6:45!! I still hate mornings, but love my evenings to myself since the kids went to bed so early.
Beth

Emily said...

You two make it look so easy.

lisa said...

Brian - you are my hero! There is no way Ernie would get up with me to participate in this Action Plan.

AFJ said...

Does James always sleep in the car with his arms up behind his head like that? Because J and W do-everytime...I think it is so funny! (Accept when they are not supposed to be sleeping in the car you know)

Rachel said...

Great plan! See, you are handling everything like pros! Caffeine-powered pros!