Steph & Brian

Steph & Brian
Tuscany 2005

James

James
age 6

Molly

Molly
almost 4

Sunday, April 10, 2011

First Medal

I (I!) signed us up for a one mile fun run at our new grocery store - Earth Fare. It's a whole foods-organic-no high fructose corn syrup kind of place. Truth be told, I don't care about any of that - I just like the enormous deli, cheese selection, and the fact that they are always sending me coupons for FREE things. Like a giant organic chicken. FREE.

So, when they announced a 5K/one mile fun run, I THOUGHT, "oooh, I bet there will be lots of yummy food at the finish line...." I also THOUGHT that Brian would run with James and I would sip my coffee (organic, of course) while Molly and I waited at the finish line, and I THOUGHT I might get a free t-shirt.

Somewhere during our 5 minute ride to the store, James got all amped up about actually doing the race. Like really running in it. We had the stroller with two seats and I'm pretty sure I've run further than a mile to catch an airplane, so I said, "sure buddy, why not?" PLUS, I knew there would be yummy wholesome food at the end.

Here's James (facing the wrong way) at the starting line:


Long story short (ha ha), James barely made it out of the parking lot (like 40 feet) when he asked, "can I ride in the stroller and you guys run and also, can I get the medal at the end?"

So, there we were. Brian and I, pushing 70 pounds of ungratefulness one mile around a shopping center. All they had were organic oranges, bananas and water at the end, my shirt doesn't fit, and I couldn't walk upright for two days.

BUT, James and Molly DID get medals. Really, they are the best stroller riders ever. Truly award winning.


3 comments:

AFJ said...

Steph-another hilarious post. Do you want to blog for me please? :) Sorry your race wasn't as you expected and you didn't get a "gigantic organic chicken" with all the fixings at the finish line. The pictures and the blog post were worth it though right? Good work good work!

Emily said...

You have to start somewhere, but I do think you got ripped off on the post race snacks. All the ones I've done lately offer cheese pizza. Now that's refreshing!

Grandma Honey said...

Another great laugh from Grandma Honey with serious chuckles for all of you for effort. I really think you all deserved a big red white and blue ribbon and your choice of whatever you want to munch for the day.