Steph & Brian

Steph & Brian
Tuscany 2005

James

James
age 6

Molly

Molly
almost 4

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Activities anyone?

You know the kids you read about that "need a break" when they graduate from high school due to their life being totally over-scheduled in their youth? Meet James. He will be touring Europe, Eurrail pass in hand, dothing N.O.T.H.I.N.G. and debating (!) college and it will all be due to our one year here in Montgomery.

It's just so easy here - nothing's more than 15 minutes away, Molly's pretty flexible, and Brian works a 4 hour day (at most!) so he's available for schlepping.

Here's James' current schedule:
Monday - school 9-1, taekwondo 4-4:30
Tuesday - school
Wednesday - school, big green bus 1-1:30, taekwondo 4-4:30
Thursday - school, soccer practice 6-7pm
Friday - school
Saturday - soccer game 9-10am
Sunday - math intensive, focusing on long division and Pythagorean's Theorem (JUST KIDDING!... about the long division)

If you've ever met James, then you know he NEEDS the outlets. He needs the activity and the instructor/teacher who's not his mom.

Here's where we stand. He asks me to "sign him out" of soccer every other day and he loves the big green bus and taekwondo. He's surprisingly bad at soccer (all you have to do is run towards the ball and kick it) and even more surprisingly - good at taekwondo, which involves a 30 second (!) meditation moment where he sits absolutely still and quiet. Wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it with my own eyes.

Here are the pics you can throw in my face when I cry to you that my 18 year old son "doesn't take life seriously", "isn't interested in college" and "needs more money."

First soccer game...

...although they don't keep score at this age or in this league, let me tell you - we lost 5 to 0.

Buddy Haydn (#3) is on the team.



James asked me (again!) to sign him out of soccer after the first game because he "didn't score any goals." So, a CostCo ice cream was in order.

The Big Green Bus is like Gymboree on wheels.
No, it doesn't move while they're on it.
Oy, if I had a dollar for every person who asked me that...

BEFORE his first taewkondo lesson. he wanted to show me "his karate."
Please note Molly innocently walking in on the action....

Doh!

Love you anyway.

First lesson:

I would like to know: where is the cross-country running league for preschoolers?
THAT'S what we need.

1 comment:

Emily said...

When James scored a perfect whatever they score these days(2400?) on his SATs I'll be cursing John Rosemond's advice to simplify and you'll be laughing all the way to the scholarship bank...