Steph & Brian

Steph & Brian
Tuscany 2005

James

James
age 6

Molly

Molly
almost 4

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Overstaying Our Welcome....

Have you seen the news? Are you one of the many calling/emailing us to see if we "have everything we need? are we going stir crazy?" Well, we do have everything we need and we are not, in fact, going stir crazy..... because WE'RE NOT HOME!!!

We SHOULD be in DC right now. Our original flight home was yesterday (Tuesday). I would be blogging about all the fun adventures we HAD during our big trip to Snowmass, CO, but DC won't let us come home. We're snowed OUT. Delta will not bring us home until Friday!

Instead, we are still in Snowmass (a location where folks are usually snowed IN), skiing, playing in the snow, and acting like locals since we've been here for like, a month.

Our trip started Feb 1 and thanks to the ever-generous, most obliging Big Uncle Kevin, we are staying across from the Elk Camp Gondola adjacent to the Assay Hill run in his very luxurious slope-side condo. It is, no joke, SKI-IN, SKI-OUT and please allow me to mention that the "ski-in" portion is like ski into the HOT TUB. Poor us.

View from the dining room:


I will blog more later, but here's the "extended stay" portion of our trip:

Here's us Monday night, packing up and calling Delta.
Oh? Flight canceled?

Tuesday - we threw the kids back in ski school and hit the slopes:


James has been LOVING ski school. He is a BIG fan of going "fast with french fries (straight skis)," but has finally mastered the pizza (snowplow) to stop and he looks like this ALL THE TIME:


We took him out one day, on our own and after the second little run, he said, "OK, stop telling me what to do. I will pizza when I need to!" Here's the little daredevil in action:


On what we thought was our last night, we ventured out to 8K, a super-fancy-dancy hotel restaurant and I must say, the kids were treated far better than us! Molly sat in a $200 high chair (I looked it up):


and James got his own placemat to unroll and inside.... BENDAROOS! (see the commercial, people). He immediately made a necklace for our waitress which garnered him a chocolate milk with a light up ice cube!

and then... to make a point about us not taking him to enough nice restaurants, he picked up the table candle BY THE FLAME.

after two small heart attacks (one for Brian and one for me), we realized that the candle was FAKE. Just a little battery operated light....

But still, here is the family at one of the nicest restaurants in Snowmass. Can you imagine? Molly is whining for more food, James is doing ???? with the fake candle, Brian is adjusting his "Bendaroos bow tie" and I am filming the whole thing. We should be embarrassed...


So we ordered - grilled cheese for James, sliders (mini cheeseburgers) for Molly, decadent pork chops for Brian, and trout with mushroom sauce for me. GUESS WHAT MOLLY ATE???!!!

Yeah, that's right... all my trout!

And so I was left with the sliders....

whatever.
Snowed OUT and loving it....

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Would you PLEASE quit it with the sensational family photos? Seriously, it is like one right after the other. I am still trying to get my two children to look in the same direction for one photo...yet to be achieved.

Have a blast!

Angela said...

Roughin' it in style. That Coyne family, always so adaptable :)

lisa said...

I'm one of those who has called your house! I wont send the box of canned goods now that I know you are all in the lap of luxury! Enjoy your snow conditions.

Jen said...

I am with Rachel on the amazing family photos. You 4 are just too cute. It looked like an amazing family vacation. Snowmass sounds like a mommy and daddy haven!