Steph & Brian

Steph & Brian
Tuscany 2005

James

James
age 6

Molly

Molly
almost 4

Sunday, November 1, 2009

FALLing Behind

Ha! Get it?

I was not kidding when I said Fall is chock full of activities around here. But not every outing has an adventure story (surprisingly, given the personalities of these two kids...) so I am just posting a whole bunch of pics and a little background to give you an idea of what we've been up to. I mean, really, stop right now and go get a cup of coffee - this is going to be a long one. Chock. Full.

This fall, poor James and Molly have been doing a lot of POSING and not well, I might add. There is no leaf pile, no pumpkin patch, no funny fake train that I will not put my kids in and make them pose. "Open your eyes!" "Molly!" "Molly!" "James, look at me!" "No buddy, a NICE smile." "Molly!" I ended up with about 400 photos of James with his eyes closed and 200 pictures of Molly trying to eat leaves.


See?
But we forgive her because she can rock those pink (faux) Uggs - how cute are those boots?!


The beginning of Molly's costume...

This is a pumpkin patch outside of James' school. I told him we could pick out a pumpkin....ANY pumpkin and THIS is what he chose.
The smallest Charlie Brown runt pumpkin in the whole patch.
Total cost: one whole dollar.


See?

This is the Burke Pumpkin Playground we went to (twice!) last year.

Brian didn't get to go last year. I bet James is pretty happy he was able to this year so they could go down the huge slide together....

...and so Brian could roll James down the side of a hill inside a big dirty plastic tube.
Good times.
Big boy doing the slide all by himself.

No wait, there's more. I think we ended up with over ten pumpkins this year from various activities, patches, and decorative purposes.

We let James "design" the pumpkin this year by him telling us what shape he wanted everything to be. He had absolutely no interest in touching any of the "guts." There is a chance I should have chosen another word for the stuff inside the pumpkin....

While I did all the dirty work, he colored a pumpkin for our front door.

The finished product:

Kind of spooky for a 3 year old, no?

Trick or Treating....
In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf.
One Sunday morning, the warm sun came up and -pop! - out of the egg came a tiny and Very Hungry Caterpillar.

He started to look for some food.
On Monday he ate through one apple.
(blah blah blah blah blah blah)
He built a small house, called a cocoon, around himself.
He stayed inside for more than two weeks.
Then he nibbled a hole in the cocoon, pushed his way out and...

he was a beautiful butterfly!
(Eric Carle)

We did our square block of neighborhood houses and then ventured a couple more blocks to the biggest Halloween street party I have ever seen. Streets were closed, police officers were on duty and the candy was endless.
No matter how loud it got or how big the crowds were, James always did his rehearsed routine:
"Trick or Treat!"
"Thank you!"
"Happy Halloween to you!"
This last part, he would repeat over and over and louder and louder until he was acknowledged by the candy giver.
Molly with neighbor Pilar:
The loot:


3 comments:

Emily said...

So the real reason we couldn't visit was because I knew Virginia's store-bought, used, too-big Tinkerbell costume wouldn't compete with whatever you came up with. And now that I see the reversible Very Hungry Caterpillar with built in little sister Apple, I know I was right. If I didn't love you so much I'd hate you. :)

lisa said...

Poor Lilly. If only she had a creative mommy... She'll never have anything close to that costume! What will you do next year?!

Susannah said...

SHUT UP!! I didn't know that it turned into a butterfly?!?!?! MARKET and SELL. MARKET and SELL.

And Molly. I'd eat that apple right up!