Steph & Brian

Steph & Brian
Tuscany 2005

James

James
age 6

Molly

Molly
almost 4

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Happy Halloween 2008

Really. What else could he be for Halloween while we are living here in the nation's capitol and in Old Town? Uhhhh... George Washington, of course.


Where did I buy this costume you ask? What costume store sells toddler-sized lined corduroy jackets with tails and epaulets? It's a little boutique I like to call, "my mom" or "Nanet" as she is known in this house. My mom was here in late September and I asked her if she could help me make James look like this:


What I meant was, "can we just buy a little jacket from a thrift store and rip it up and throw some gold buttons on it?" What my mom heard was, "let's make a lined jacket FROM SCRATCH, first out of muslin and then the real thing." (thanks mom!)


I am not sure that the pictures do it justice. I do think James grew 4 inches and 14 pounds since my mom made the jacket in September which explains his little belly peeking out from underneath.  He really did love it and exclaimed several times "Trick or treat! It's me, George Washington!"


We went to about 8 houses and were stopped on the street no less than 10 times for oohing and aahing. He even had his picture taken by a complete stranger which I have come to think of as my barometer for a successful Halloween costume. 

Our first house was in the Mews - our neighbors Pat & Cheryl - who thought it would be fun to dress like this to give candy to a 2-year old. 


James, of course, was terrified, but came around when they gave him an entire GIFT BAG full of candy & toys. Actually, two of our neighbors did this (see "big haul" pic below) so James might find trick-or-treating a little disappointing in the future.

Here he is outside Gadsby's Tavern where George used to throw back a few ales.

And here he is outside of one of George Washington's homes here in Old Town. Please note the GW bust in the window. Sadly, these people were not home.


And here's the big haul. We let James choose one piece to eat before heading off to brush his teeth and go to bed and he chose.... Smarties. I'm just saying...





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My oh My ,what a marvelous talented Mom and daughter. I am so proud of you both and the cooperation of James. That edition deserved a feature in the local paper. Send a photo to one of the contests that are usually in the Parade section for the Sunday paper. The tummy was appropriate also from all that ale the George man drank.

GGrandma Honey

Anonymous said...

We are friends of the Bruces (Emily and I were in grad school together) and occasionally visit your blog to V's future hubby.

I have to say that the costume is awesome. You've outdone yourselves!

Erin, Bill and Carter

Angela said...

Okay, quite possibly the most hilarious Halloween EVER! Bravo!

Rachel said...

You are the master. Congrats on pulling off a costume that is sure to have people all around the city talking. Watch- it will get back to you in the mom's circles!

My kids were green things.

Emily said...

This is even better than I had pictured. Love it. Love you. Love him.

AFJ said...

I had to hop on your blog to see what James was for Halloween and you did NOT disappoint. WOW! You deserve some sort of mommy medal for that! SO great!!